I often get asked, “what are the quickest or easiest ways that a woman can improver her looks & confidence?” Unfortunately, the general rule when it comes to outer beauty is, “good things come to those who wait” and most of the seriously high-impact cosmetic treatments (as shown on our makeover series Mooimaak) take time to deliver lasting results.
However, luckily, there are exceptions. Here is a list of my favourite “beauty quick fixes” to make you look younger, fresher & prettier without the wait.
(1) TEETH WHITENING
There are no two ways about it: whiter teeth make for a more beautiful, healthy-looking smile (regardless of how much you score on the Perfect Smile Metre). When I was getting ready for my wedding last year, teeth whitening was on the top of my to-do list (OK, maybe it was second, straight after “kissing carbs goodbye”). My family were so impressed by my pearly whites, they booked their own appointments with my dentist, Dr JJ Serfontein, immediately.
Treatment Philips Zoom In-Chair Whitening System performed by a qualified oral hygienist (including a take-home maintenance kit)
Duration of treatment 90 minutes
Results last 8 to 12 months (depending on smoking, coffee & red wine consumption)
If you live in Cape Town contact the rooms of the fabulous Dr JJ Serfontein to enquire about price & availability on (021) 424 5172
(2) RAISE YOUR BROW GAME
Brow grooming will always be on my go-to beauty recommendation list. I recently wrote an entire blog post about the transformative magic of shaping your eyebrows to instantly flatter & frame your face shape. I could not compile this list without mentioning it again. For more information on treatment duration & results, as well as the name of my favourite brow expert, click here.
THE POWER OF PRETTY HAIR, NAILS & MAKEUP
You can have as many age-defying, damage-reversing, youth-boosting treatments as you’d like, but there is no denying that the finishing touches of good hair & makeup are just as important (and, luckily, quicker and cheaper to do). And, don’t hate me for saying this, but there is NO excuse, ladies, for chipped, broken or unkept nails. Ever. (I can’t tell you how many times my husband has told me that the first thing he looks at, when meeting a woman, is whether she looks after her nails. I must confess: I do the same.)
(3) QUICK HAIR HACKS
- If you have limp, lifeless hair and don’t have time for an in-salon blow dry, add instant Hollywood glamour by using these va-va voom volumizing tricks & products
- If you have frizz-tastic, untamed hair ask your hair stylist for an in-salon straigtening treatment that is, preferably, formaldehyde-free
(4) NAIL TIPS
- Stay modern by keeping nails short and chic, unless you’re going au naturel with a clear, nude or creamy colour, in which case they can be a bit longer (but please keep Cruelle De Ville far away)
- My favourite dark colours are Black Cherry Berry, Bella’s Vampire & A Touch Of Sass by Gelish (it takes longer to apply in-salon than regular nail polish, but it lasts over a week and does not chip)
- My favourite bright reds are Lobster Roll & Wildfire by Shellac
- My favourite light, neutral colours are Romantique & Negligee by Shellac (also an in-salon gel polish)
- For at-home regular polish, OPI & Essie make the best range of colours (although it only last a few days)
- Keep cuticles well-moisturized by applying a bit of coconut or olive oil every second day
- Don’t mix & match: make sure hands & feet are painted the same colour, please
(5) MAKEUP MUST-HAVES
- Get your hands on the best foundation you can afford (unless you have perfect skin, in which case, count your blessings, sister, and dare to go bare). The best foundations, in my opinion, are made by Armani, Chanel & Sensai
- Never skip mascara – I alternate between Maybelline’s Rocket Volum’ Express Mascara, Lancôme’s Hypnôse Drama & MAC’s Extended Play Gigablack Lash
- Invest in a universally flattering lip colour that is close to your natural shade but adds some colour, fullness & definition – my favourite shades are neutral/soft/pink-ish tones like Charlotte Tilbury’s Pillow Talk (I use both the lipliner & lipstick for longer wear), MAC’s Boldly Bare lip pencil and their Kinda Sexy lipstick. For those bolder moments, a kickass red like MAC’s classic Ruby Woo is a good one to have in your kit
- Add a sun-kissed glow with Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder
- Brighten up your cheeks with Bobbi Brown’s Apricot Powder Blush (it’s potent though, so go very lightly)
Phew, OK – so hopefully your application of the above tips & tricks will go somewhat quicker than my compilation of this list (just kidding – sort of;)
Until next time, ladies. As Rihanna says, “shine bright like a diamond.”